Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The bigger they are….

A warning: this post will be more questions than it will be answers. It will not be wrapped up at the end in a nice, eat, bow. Instead it will be a mess, just like me. I’m a smart mess, as Mr. P said last night.

It might be said that the better a relationship is, the more things hurt when they imperfections between two people emerge. Mr. P and I are about as perfect as you can get: we’re old enough to know what we are doing and young enough to enjoy each other. We’re experienced but not jaded.

But last night, with the end of our first vacation confronting us, the biggest fell hard, and I have the puffy eyes to show for it.

The worst part is, it may not even really be worth the effort to dissect it. We were both tired and hungry. We were both cranky. These things happen, especially when you spend as much time together as he and I do, and will continue to do.

But I experienced something very like heartbreak last night, as Mr. P took my inventory in a way he really hasn’t done before. He accused me of refusing to ever admit that I’m wrong. It’s a fair assessment, though not one I had personally made of myself. I admit my flaws, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m aware of them all.

“I’m not going to treat you with kit gloves all the time. It’s not just children who need tough love.”

Except that it is just children who need tough love. See, I’m the sort of woman who doesn’t need tough love. I operate much better if I am given kind and constructive criticism. Tough love shuts me down. It crops me out, it cuts me out of the picture and destroys my ability to be an active participant in my own development. And maybe the worst part is that I am very accustomed to Mr. P’s kit glove treatment. Maybe it was too much to expect it to happen all the time, but certainly it is understandable that the first time the gloves come off that I’d be surprised, isn’t it?

He wanted to talk about it tomorrow, and the gloves came off because he was tired and hungry. I didn’t want to go to bed angry, so I asked. And we had a fight. And I cried like a baby. And I told him I wouldn’t hold anything against him from last night, and he said he never intended to either.

And it hurts. No one likes to hurt. But as Umair Haque (http://blogs.hbr.org/2012/02/why-love-matters-more-and-less/) notes, “Love is investing in, sacrificing for, and caring about; seeking what I’d call higher-order returns — igniting the creation of real human wealth in others (and reciprocation in kind). Love transforms, and transformation hurts. Hence, you probably won’t love if you can’t surrender to a little bit of suffering.”  Tough words from the Harvard Business Review, but we get it where we can, don’t we?

I spend a lot of time trying to be sure Mr. P and I are on the same page. I confirm, double check, etc., etc. It probably drives him crazy, but I’m constantly reaffirming my position in life. I’ll never know more than I don’t know, and I’m well aware of that. So tonight I will ask him just how often I can expect the kit gloves to come off, and I will ask him if he knows what my reaction will be to tough love and whether that’s the kind of relationship he wants to be in. Because it’s not the kind I want to be in. I don’t want to love him despite the tough love. I don’t want to love him despite anything.

It’s very scary to think that one might be in a relationship that provokes the kind of painful response that’s needed to grow. When Mr. P and I first started dating, we both admitted to being shit scared of falling in love. And I’m only really beginning to understand what it was we are afraid of. But the good news is that I am also beginning to understand that we are well equipped, not only to handle the challenge but to excel at it. You see, despite what the Huffington Post says, I am special. I may not be the next Secretary of State, but I am special. I’m special to those who love me and the ones I love.  It would be pretty difficult for me to love them the way they deserve if I didn’t believe I was.

No comments: