Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Running and Running

And so today marks the middle of the second week of Fall 2013. This will be my fourth semester at GW as an MPH student. I won't lie: I have a love-hate relationship with my program here. I've always been highly critical of curriculum design and instructional methods: I work in higher education and have my entire career, so the view isn't great because it's from the cheap seats.

My classes have steadily become more interesting and less demanding, which I think is the point. I'm learning more but doing less work. That's a good reason to come to a program. My Designs class seems largely to be a repeat of my epi class, which was challenging in so many awesome ways that I can't help but remember it.

But I won't lie, I'm already tired. I don't have the burned out feeling I did at the end of May (I attribute that to having two summer classes that were challenging but easy at the same time. Go figure) but I had class until 830 PM last night, went to bed at midnight, and I'm already tired. And I still have tomorrow's til-9-PM-class to deal with.

Of course, I know why. It really wasn't because of the 830 PM class. I have this drive that I need to get a good run in and I really haven't done so. For whatever reason I'm also convinced this run should take place at the beginning of the morning, which necessitates that I'm up by 6 or 630 AM at the latest. I've never been a morning person, so you can only imagine what 6 AM feels like to me.

This is me at 6 AM:
 
 
I felt like Tobey from The West Wing: "There is literally no one in the world that I don't hate right now." I was cursing at MSNBC (ok...that's not new and cannot truthfully be attributed to lack of sleep and/or mornings, generally). 

Anyway, I have decided that I don't need to run in the mornings and will instead concentrate on getting a run in after work, when I can. I don't have class Mondays or Fridays, and so far am kicking so much ass in my programming class that I leave lab around 7 PM on Wednesdays. Here's to hoping.

No comments: