I usually either do very, very well in the kitchen or I go down in spectacular flames.
Last night, as a tornado ripped through the county immediately East of us (I know because I watched it with almost popcorn-munching fascination from our balcony...I swear, I saw the second coming), I made the best and first vegetable lasagna of my life.
I've always liked the soupy, roux-based Stouffer's version, and have been convinced for some time that I could do better. And I did.
Firstly, I roasted a pan of various veggies on the weekend...whatever I had in the fridge that was on its way out, so-to-speak (1 eggplant, one green papper, half a thing of mushrooms, half an onion, two zucchini, one tomato, a handlful of garlic cloves). I drizzled some olive oil on them, sprinkled a mix of dried herbs (use something provencial), and baked them for about an hour and twenty, turning every 20 or so minutes, at 375. Then I Tupperwared them and forgot about them...until last night when I decided, on the fly, in the car on the way home from work, at 630PM, that I would, sans recipe, make vegetable lasagna.
Sounds like the making of a really good movie, doesn't it? Anyway we were stopping at the HyVee to get a RedBox film (I should review PS I Love You in a blog) anyway, so I thought I'd get some mixed Italian cheese and some ricotta, and give it my all.
My Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
1 pan of mixed roasted veggies (see above)
2 pounds of ricotta cheese
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 egg
1/2 tsp onion or garlic powder, or both
lasagna noodles, about 8-10
2 TBS butter
1.5 cups hot milk
2 TBS flour
dried basil & oregano (1-1.5 tsp of each)
fresh basil (if you have it)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (not the powdery crap)
2 cups mixed Italian cheeses (They sell this stuff in bags at the store, it doesn't matter if it is 'Crumbles' or 'shredded'..if you can't find it, use Mozz, provelone, asiago, etc)
1 pound of fresh spinach, washed and trimmed of stems (not necessary...but I had some going bad, so I used it)
So, boil the noodles according to the box, about 10 mins in salted water. Drain and lay flat on paper towels to dry. Saute the washed and trimmed spinach in 1 TBS of olive oil aboud 5-8 mins until wilted and fragrant, set aside to cool.
While you're doing all that, melt the butter until it stops fizzling. Add the flour and whisk, cook gently until you smell something nice and the butter is a tan color (about 5-7 mins). Add the hot milk, then 1 tsp of salt, dried basil and oregano. Remove from heat, add 1 cup of the cheese, and cover. This should thicken up.
Mix the ricotta, 1.25 tsp of salt and some pepper, egg and parsley together. Fold in 1 cup of cheese.
Spray your pan with Pam or whatever spray you use.
Put down some noodles, then the roasted veggies. Pour 1/3-1/2 of the sauce over the veggies (if the sauce is too thick, add a few TBS of cold milk and stir vigorously).
Put down some more noodles. Add the ricotta mixture. Add the spinach on top.
Put down some more noodles. Layer the basil leaves, then the rest of the sauce, and top of the parmesan cheese. Bake about 40 mins at 350 degrees. Mmmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment