Sometimes I let myself get too annoyed by things. I wish I could just anything roll off my back the way others seemingly do...but then I figure I'm just falling into the age-old trap of "Comparing my insides to other people's outsides", as my father used to say.
I was listening to the Mocha moms on NPR and took from it three important things:
1. Other moms Do find motherhood so difficult that it at times borders on impossibly hard.
2. Moms want one thing, generally, for Mother's Day: to be told by another mother that they are a good Mom.
3. You can be yourself, a woman and a person, and be someone's mother.
Mocha Moms are a support group for mothers of color.

When I see pictures of the Iraq War, the first thing that comes to my mind is that I don't really understand why American don't understand why Iraqis are fighting back. Wouldn't you? Honestly, ask yourself something: if a foreign country invaded your land with their military, killed people, took your leader capture (even if you didn't like him), wouldn't you fight back? Wouldn't you, no matter what they promised to give you (democracy, freedom, etc), wouldn't you fight them, on principle, if for nothing else?
I would. I most certainly would. And I am even more sure that I would when I hear about the horrible things that the military has done, and I see the little progress that is made. When I hear that there is sometimes no running water or electricity....when I hear pundits here make fun of the Iraqi Congress taking vacation during the hottest part of the year and not remembering that they don't have air conditioning like we do...when I hear that there are photojournalists visiting psychiatric hospitals and making friends and then making photo journalism spreads as a part of their career.....I remember that Americans think they are, and always will think they are better than those whom they oppress. Why else would we think we have the right to tell a sovreign (or, what once was a sovreign nation) how to run their government?
I would. I most certainly would. And I am even more sure that I would when I hear about the horrible things that the military has done, and I see the little progress that is made. When I hear that there is sometimes no running water or electricity....when I hear pundits here make fun of the Iraqi Congress taking vacation during the hottest part of the year and not remembering that they don't have air conditioning like we do...when I hear that there are photojournalists visiting psychiatric hospitals and making friends and then making photo journalism spreads as a part of their career.....I remember that Americans think they are, and always will think they are better than those whom they oppress. Why else would we think we have the right to tell a sovreign (or, what once was a sovreign nation) how to run their government?
No comments:
Post a Comment