I probably have an opinion about almost everything. I sincerely try to reserve it until I think I have enough information to create one, and I try to keep it flexible and an open mind in case someone has a good refute to it. Serious.
I saw that a high school acquaintance of my on facebook (devil spawn) was in a relationship with someone new, so being the nosey-posey I am, I looked him up. I didn't know him, but could tell immediately two things: 1. I probably wouldn't like him, 2. He's a nurse. Hint: that's not why I wouldn't like him.
I also wouldn't necessarily refuse to like him simply because of the thing upon which I wish to opine, after having ruined my chances of having a semi-decent evening with said boyfriend because I foolishly called him overly sensitive because I truly thought he wasn't listening to me.
Or perhaps all the sex and alcohol has lead him to believe I really don't give a sh*t about my religion but deep down inside, I am more conflicted that I am inept and passionateless about it than anything else in my life. And the fact that Ramadan starts tomorrow before 5AM is troubling me more than I can put into words. Or should. Because that's another blog.
No, I wish to complain about people who work in health care. The truly sad part about most people who work in health care are intelligent enough to know the system is broken but not intelligent enough to see that bitching and pissing and moaning about it will not change it. My friend's new relationship partner is a member of some f*ckwit facebook page called "Emergency Rooms are for EMERGENCIES". It's a "cause" dedicated to "educating" people about what an emergency is. It's f*cking retarded.
Why?
People know what emergencies are. They do. The real reason people go to emergency rooms for non-emergent cases is the lack of facilities to do it elsewhere. Let's face it: we live in a nation in which people take less vacation time per person than any other developed nation. People are punished, particularly women, for taking time off to take their kids or themselves to see a doctor, who basically keeps bankers hours. It's nurses who usually refer people to the emergency rooms (irony, how I love thee), mostly because they can't fit patients into the doctor's schedules soon enough for either their or the patient's comfort.
People who complain about their jobs do so rightfully: care taking is the most emotionally draining work there is. It's also necessary, and people should go into it to care for people, even those they feel the need to "educate". Of course you must know that "educate" is code word for tell them to go the f*ck home.
People also go to emergency rooms because they lack providers of care. A fair number of minorities actually list their provider of care as a facility rather than a person, either because they haven't had the finances to establish a relationship with a provider or because there isn't one in their neighborhood. Funny thing about crime ridden neighborhoods: you need ERs for the bullet wounds but sadly the docs don't set up shop there much. There is also a decidedly distrusting of the medical system, the same system that gave birth to such things as the Tuskegee experiments. If these "educators" really cared, they might educate patients about how to find a trusted provider and communicate with their doctors. They might also push to make health care universal and available to the working class.
But no. They make a facebook page instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment