Thursday, January 27, 2011

I hadn't thought about why Chicago politics ever meant anything to me until it occured to me that Cleveland's never had. My city has had her share of controversies, no doubt. Dennis Kucinich (hell, his name alone sounds controversial) getting Cleveland's loans called because he wouldn't bend for the mafia; Mike White and his two it's-totally-fine-to-bribe-officials best buddies. John Boehner is from Ohio for God's sake. How that happened, I'll never know.
But Chicago is the closest think to real urbania that I know. I have been to Chicago countless times, I knew her streets and neighborhoods so well that I rarely use maps there anymore. I bitch about her traffic affectionately and ceaselessly. Chicago traffic, after all, still makes sense to me, unlike Washington DC's and New York's.
Where is all this going? So glad I asked myself...I'd almost forgot.
I'm something of a legal nerd as well, I blame it on my job and my bad legal-tinged genetics (see Judge John F Clair, retired bad ass). But it seems Rahm Emanuel (his middle name is Israel, but I won't hold that against him) is in fact, legally a resident of Chicago. I wonder if this means he is not a resident of DC...but that is besides the point.
What I love about this case, besides dirty Chicago politics, is that they used a little known law that says a person called into service for their country, cannot lose their residency if they move out of the city, even if it's more than a year. This was, detractors say, originally intended for service men (it was after all written in WW II), but the court upheld that it could apply to those accepting positions in the government. Slam-to-the-dunk.
I swear, reading "Congress could've, but didn't, write the law that way fucktards" in print.

In other worthless news, I've just discovered the ultimate of two things that truly qualify one to be old.
1. You're old when you realize in this great journey of life, no matter how many love songs you've heard and sickening movies you've seen, you're in it alone.
2. Realizing that life is too short to go around cutting out sugars, fats, carbs, etc. All of that is a subconscious effort to extend a life that cannot be extended. Look at Jack Lalanne for f*ck's sake. That guy was the PILLAR of health, and he only lived to 96. My great grandmother smoked and ate pistachio flavored jello and she lived to 90. Need I say more?

Final thought: You can't divorce a friend.

No comments: